According to Pike County Probate Court Judge and Election Superintendent Lynn Brandenburg, 989 Pike residents voted “yes,” while 1,297 voted “no.”
“I’m happy it failed. Obviously, 56 percent of Pike County residents were happy it failed,” said David Hughes, of the Citizens for Accountability in Government. “Maybe (local politicians) will sit down and figure out how to do it in a reasonable manner. The projects they had were wrong.”
Hughes said that, considering the current state of the economy, it may not have been the best idea to propose a SPLOST, which would have resulted in a 1 percent sales tax imposed over the next six years.
“Timing was bad,” he said.
Pike County Board of Commissioners member Parrish Swift, who supported the proposed SPLOST, looked at Tuesday’s outcome solemnly.
“My reaction is: The people have spoken. The Pike County citizens have spoken,” he said. “That’s just the way it goes.”
Swift said those who were opposed to the SPLOST went out and made their voices heard while those in favor of it may not have done enough to deliver their message.
Asked what he believed to be the consequences of the Pike voters’ decision, Swift said there aren’t many.
“There are no consequences other than reassess and re-evaluate needs, expenses and revenues,” he said.
According to an intergovernmental agreement from July 28, 2009, Pike County would have received 80 percent of the SPLOST proceeds if the referendum had passed. The remaining 20 percent would have gone to the city of Concord (3.2 percent), the city of Meansville (1.4 percent), the city of Molena (3.0 percent), the city of Williamson (2.8 percent) and the city of Zebulon (9.6 percent).
Among the various projects included in the SPLOST was the acquisition of a new judicial complex and improvements to the current courthouse, which was estimated to cost $4,300,000, by far the most expensive project.
Other county projects included road improvements in the amount of $600,000 and improvements of recreation and leisure facilities for $400,000.