The woman, Jewel Fambro, was found by the door of the home at 1337B Jackson St. According to Coroner Sonny Foster, neighbors on the other side of the duplex could hear her screaming, but were unable to get to her because of the flames.
“She made it as far as the door,” Foster said.
Spalding County Fire Marshall Eddie James said when the first engine responded at four minutes after getting the call at 5:30 p.m., they reported fire coming out the front door and side windows. He said it took about 35 minutes for firefighters to get the fire under control.
James said, “we determined the cause of the fire was electrical wiring in the ceiling. The fire was in the ceiling for some time before the ceiling collapsed.”
He said the woman was not trapped by the ceiling falling in.
“It appears she collapsed by the door,” he said.
Foster said this was difficult for him as he had known Fambro since 1956. She was “raised up on this property,” he said.
“She was part of our family for some time.” he said. “It was a good family, just good people.”
Watson said neighbors told him she got home about 4:30 p.m.
“A neighbor had taken her to Walmart and helped her up the stairs,” Foster said. “This happened within 20 minutes after that.”
Spalding County Sheriff’s Office deputies along with units of the Spalding County Fire Department and the Spalding Regional Hospital Emergency Medical Services were dispatched to the structure fire. Fambro was the only occupant of the residence and was pronounced dead at the scene.