• A national cotton corporation was launched by the Farmers Union.
• Many camp meetings were scheduled to be held in August throughout the state.
• A poultry department was formed at the Experiment Farm.
• The Sixth District School was planning to open Sept. 3.
From the annals of 1937
• A U.S. cruiser was shelled by the Japanese in China; one sailor was killed and 18 others injured.
From the annals of 1962
• Arnold Garner caught a 95-pound turtle in the Line Creek District.
• Stan Musial announced he would return for another season.
From the annals of 2007
• The local school system saw a slight increase in the average ACT score.
• The Spalding softball team went 4-1 in the Diamond Classic and Griffin went 2-3.
• Michael Vick was to plead guilty to felony dogfighting charges.