• A moonshine still about two-and-a-half miles outside Griffin, was found and destroyed.
• According to state tax returns, more blacks were becoming property owners.
From the annals of 1961
• Dundee Mills president J.M. Cheatham left for a trip to Japan to represent the American textile industry.
• The Griffin Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol was planning a program on radiation.
• Fairmont High football coach Hiram Whitaker said his team lacked size but had good speed. The team was scheduled to open the 1961 season at home against East Depot High on Sept. 9.
From the annals of 2006
• Jenni-Lynn Smith struck out 10 as the Spalding softball team beat Cass 3-2.
• The purchase of the Wachovia building was on the Griffin Board of Commissioners’ agenda.
• In the Diamond Classic held at Volunteer Park, Griffin won the Silver Bracket while Spalding finished second in the Gold Bracket.
• The Spalding County Board of Commissioners was scheduled to discuss an airport study.