• A new mill, the Georgia Cotton Mill, made its first shipment.
From the annals of 1962
• Stock-car driver Banjo Matthews hit 161 mph at the Daytona track.
• Mark Stanley was honored on his 2nd birthday.
From the annals of 2007
• U.S. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, R-Ga., honored former U.S. Rep. John James Flynt Jr., who served in the House for 24 years.
• A group of local students visited Germany.
• Griffin’s Currie Pierce was the points leader in the Chargers Division at Thursday Thunder, Atlanta Motor Speedway’s summer series.