• John Cooper, a candidate for Congress, was to speak in Griffin.
From the annals of 1937
• Griffin was named a headquarters for the Georgia Highway Patrol.
From the annals of 1962
• Former President Herbert Hoover proposed a Council of Free Nations. He said the “Reds have destroyed the usefulness of the U.N.”
• President John Kennedy was to give a report on the economy.
From the annals of 2007
• Carson Willis finished third in the Atlanta Junior Golf Grand Championship in the Boys 12-and-under Division.
• Firefighters had to extricate a woman from a car after a two-vehicle wreck on Memorial Drive.
• A woman and four children under 6 were displaced after a fire at Spalding Heights.